Saturday, December 20, 2008

Fighter Pilot and shattered dreams


For a long time - from about the age of 10 to 15 I deeply wanted to be a pilot. I knew all the hero pilots of the Second World War, collected books and stories and knew the names of every airplane that ever flew. I had a model plane collection (Airfix) of about 60 - all carefully painted with Humbrol paints. It just took one chance remark by someone that pilots had to have perfect vision to shatter the dream. I just quietly put it away.
I discovered the last broken model plane the other day - can't even remember its name

1 comment:

  1. I can remember cycling into town with my monthly allowance of 2/6 (two shillings and sixpence) which is 25 cents. I bought a model of a Spitfire. I think those same Airfix models are now over R100.00

    ReplyDelete