Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Titch the dog and Blunder



When we were still at the Location House we had a strange little dog called Titch. He can be seen in another blog of mine below. He lived a regrettably long time. No-one really liked him. He had teeth jutting out his lower jaw and large protruding eyes and an irascible temper. He was also insanely jealous. When I was about 7 he killed our new kitten while we were at church. We came back to find the lounge full of blood and a savaged kitten corpse. My father was a man of few words and normally quite placid. He tenderly placed the kitten on a shed roof outside and then beat Titch until he howled. My mother hurried us sobbing kids inside but I do remember feeling that justice was being done.

Blunder was an enormous army vehicle from the Second World War. My dad had even used it as a plough on the farm. It was in permanent four-wheel drive and had bullet proof tyres. I will try to find a picture on the Net - I think it was a Bedford. I used to spend endless hours playing in and around it. It ceased to move from a lack of spare parts so my dad just kept it in the garage. I was once even inspired to stand on the high bonnet and wee far into the air.
I found a picture on the Net and it is posted above.
The following description is interesting: "CMP - Canadian Military Pattern, Heavy Utility, Personnel: Between 1939 and 1945, Ford and GM worked together to produce these trucks for the Commonwealth’s WWII efforts. "
Found another picture which is a Ford (the top one) looks more like the Blunder I knew

No comments:

Post a Comment